Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spring Awakening

I know I've been MIA this past month, but I don't even know where I've been! The thought of trying to sum up an entire month is way too overwhelming for my brain, so here's a quick recap. However, I will be back on the bandwagon after this lame post!

As I mentioned a few posts back, I was heading to Birmingham in March for my friend Mariel's baby shower (she's due May 18!). One of the fun stations at the shower was a photo booth, full of props (hats, mustaches, lips, umbrellas, you name it). Here's me, my friend Lauren, and mama-to-be Mariel posing for the camera. What a great weekend!

Ryan and I took a long weekend in the North Carolina mountains during the first weekend of April. We stayed in a beautiful cabin in Valle Crucis (check out that view! check out that hot tub!), and enjoyed some lovely outings in Boone and Blowing Rock. We brought the slow cooker and made Mexican pork, finished a couple books, did a wine tasting, enjoyed some local restaurants and shops, and just relaxed. How often do you really get to do that?



We finally (FINALLY!) got a new dining room table. I've been disgruntled with my high-top, four-seater, espresso (K-Mart) table for quite some years now. I bought it when I was a spinster flirty young bachelorette in my one-bedroom apartment. It was time for a change. As the craigslist queen, I tried to pin down another awesome deal, but Crate & Barrel won out (don't worry, I found six Williams Sonoma chairs to go with it for a steal). Everyone, I introduce you to Terravida. She's a beautiful and rustic addition to the fam.
Moose got into some mischief. He has a fondness of munching on leaves/flowers (real or artificial), and this time my yellow lilies told on him. I came home to find a yellow-cheeked smushface (HA!). Tsk tsk tsk. Don't worry, he's okay.
We also attended a local beer fest in Raleigh called Brewgaloo with some pretty awesome friends. Live music, food trucks, great local beer, and some chilly weather went together perfectly for a memorable Saturday. We ended the evening with dinner at Busy Bee Cafe, a downtown favorite (they have tot burgers; yes, I said tot burgers).
I also finally got around to watching the PBS Masterpiece Classic series Downton Abbey (and dragged Ryan into loving watching it as well). In case you don't know, I'm a period nut, so this series has been beckoning me for quite some time. Now I'm tortured after being spoiled watching the first two seasons without pause, and am desperately anticipating the start of Season 3. What a gem of a show. Romance, war, family duty... ugh! It kills me. I don't think I was born in the right era. Not that I'm complaining (...then I wouldn't have Netflix).
Now it's the first day of May and it feels like summer outside. The pool will be opening in a few weeks, we'll be planning our summer vacation with Aiden, and I'll be wishing for the cool fall weather again before you know it. Signing out for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment