Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I Can't Stop! I Can't See! HELP!

Well, at least that's how our day of skiing started. Last weekend we headed up to Wintergreen Resort in Virginia for a skiing getaway with my girlfriends and the hubbies. We stayed at a beautiful cabin, just a minute's drive from the slopes, fully adorned with five bedrooms, a killer deck, multiple fireplaces, and a lovely view (it actually snowed the first morning!).

The day of skiing itself was... interesting. See our faces above? It's right after we got our equipment on. Oh, we were so happy and optimistic. This is gonna be a breeze! (I was by far the hottest ski bunny out on the mountain. I mean, look at those 80s purple pants!) Okay, I haven't skied since I was seven. SEVEN. And that was on the fluffy, snow-covered mountains in Vermont. Not on icy slopes that are covered in piles of "fluffy" artificial snow. So when I first got my skis on and started to slide ski down the mountain, I kind of freaked out. After making myself fall a bunch twice, I started to get the hang of slowing down and braking, despite my body shaking after going so fast down the slope that my cheeks were burning and my eyes were stinging. I actually thought that I had just lost it; it "coming back to me" just wasn't gonna happen. (Note: At least I didn't face-plant on my first attempt down the hill, unlike a certain husband of mine that I might still be married to after he reads this.) But alas, a few more romps down the practice hill and I started to enjoy it again. We were going up and down the slopes with no hesitations by the end of the day (no, not black diamonds), and we do hope to go skiing on real snowy mountains next time we go to Vermont. I have a feeling I'll enjoy that more, but I'll still happily return to the challenge of Wintergreen next year.

Besides skiing, we had a blast at the cabin, cooking meals each night and playing intense games of Kemps with the fire going. Despite skiing all day, there's nothing like playing a kids card game to bring out the competitive sides of grown adults. :) Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment