Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Non-New Year's Resolution

I've never believed in New Year's resolutions. In agreement with others who share in this (dis)belief, I think resolutions are made to be broken. We set expectations too high. Our New Year's resolution can be made for ourselves during any other day of the year, so why do we wait until New Year's to finally lose those 15 pounds? To get a new job? To volunteer more? To appreciate the little things? If you're dissatisfied or want to fix a crucial element in your life, do it now. Start making your life better today. Don't postpone meeting your goals. CARPE DIEM!

However, I'm not as cynical and go-against-the-grain-of-this-tradition as it might sound.

There is something to say for New Year's Day (well, after the hangover wears off). Most of us have a very emotional season during the winter holidays. This can of course be emotionally good or bad depending on the number of insane people in your family, I know. On the positive spectrum, however, we savor in the warm and relaxing times with our close family and friends, whether over a home-cooked meal, sharing a few pints, watching Christmas movies, or giving a gift that you can't wait for someone to open. It's a time to slow down, appreciate those important people in our lives, and not worry about the hubbub of work and other stressful things that make a year feel like a month. It's always wearing to hear people say "I'm so sad the holidays are over. Where did the year go?"

That, in my opinion, is why there's something to say for this day of renewal. We've just opened our hearts to the season; we've soaked in what's important in our life; we have our heads on straight and our hearts full of love. It's the perfect time to make a change for the right reason. For me, personally, I've realized that I need to be sure to always surround myself with positive people. People that I can trust, whole-heatedly, and those who are supportive, genuine, and just plain good. We can so easily get wrapped up in trying to maintain relationships with those who don't offer their equal share. Those that can hurt us without batting an eye. Those that don't take the time to get to know who we really are and simply just don't care to try. All the while not spending enough time and energy on those who are there for you through thick and thin. Who know who you are and accept you for you, despite your flaws and shortcomings.

So here's my New Year's toast: To being myself. To letting my friends be themselves. And to be friends with those that only allow me to be myself. To an open mind and an open heart. Everything else will follow in suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment