I did it! Marathon #2 is officially (and successfully) complete. I got my PR at an official time of 3:53:27, which is an 8:55 pace (full results here). I can't believe that I beat my best time at such a hilly (but BEAUTIFUL) course. I was sooo much better prepared this time, mentally and physically. I didn't peak too early, and I tapered down in my training after about 21 miles, both to prevent injury and so not to psych myself out. I already knew that I could do it and it wasn't a matter of finishing, but instead, feeling as good as possible during the entirety of the race. I knew my limits, I knew when fast was "too fast," and I knew that I should enjoy every moment because finishing would make it all worth it.As you can see, I couldn't do anything but smile when I crossed that finish line. Even though this was my second race, I finally felt like a trained marathon runner. I had trained all by myself for this race, which was a huge feat mentally. It took me a lot of willpower to get out of bed on my Saturday mornings and run for multiple hours with only myself to hold me accountable. Also, after finishing my first marathon back in 2008, I remember saying that I would never do another one... that it was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life. This experience was the total opposite. When I returned home, I immediately started looking for the next race to sign up for--I felt so gratified by the run, the organizers, and by the town. Charlottesville is truly a little gem: historic, diverse, rich in character, curvy, and truly loved by its inhabitants. I genuinely feel that it inspired me to never quit this sport and instead, to wholeheartedly embrace it. I'll be back next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment