Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pain is Temporary.


So... I've finally forgotten the last race, and therefore, I've signed up for the next one. I'd been debating for months whether or not to sign up for the Charlottesville Marathon, which is taking place on April 17th, 2010. Luckily, my husband--who can decipher any password of mine--hacked into my registration account and officially signed me up a few weeks ago. No turning back now!

Once again I've dedicated one day of every weekend to a relentless run that will undoubtedly leave me limping for the next three days. But boy o boy, it's a good kind of pain. I've heard the Charlottesville, VA, course is one of the most scenic and beautiful in the country, so therefore, I'm kind of viewing this race as my personal tour of the town by foot. Hey, it's healthy justification, right?

My first and last 26.2-mile race was Raleigh's City of Oaks Marathon. My old blog (that I neglected the majority of the time) includes a blog post from November 2008 after I completed the race. I can honestly say that it was one of my top highlights from the past 5-10 years. It really pushed me to my limits, and enabled me to cross something off my list that I've always aspired to accomplish. And that's not as easy as it sounds. It's difficult when you get into the hub and bub routine, the monotonous schedule of your normal, everyday life. I work all week and live for the weekends. I wish I was the type of person that could throw my hands up and take off for a spontaneous trip, leave my 9-5 schedule behind, and set off for an adventure of a lifetime. But reality doesn't always work that way, and we can't all disconnect and escape from our current lives. So things like running, running looooong distances, aiming to complete a race like this, gives me a taste of that adrenalin and that adventure.

But don't worry, one day you'll see photos of me backpacking through the Alps or lying in a field in the Scottish countryside. One day...

Until then, lets get another notch in my belt for marathon #2. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment